Friday, April 15, 2005

Someone has the same opinion

I found something on Big Fat Blog about a very nasty Jamaica Observer Column written by Mark & Chupski, about Sex, Obesity and Self Esteem. This blog, I believe, originated in the US, and not from a Jamaican commentator

No, the column does not report research results. It just says awful things about overweight people. For example,

Chupski: I feel pity for overweight people, especially the ones who were once slim and know how it feels to be light and free. These are the people who gained 5 pounds and took advice from other people who told them they look better with the extra five pounds. So they relaxed, got comfortable and didn't seem to notice as their size slowly increased. One day they try to fit into something they haven't worn for a while and realize they need a completely new set of clothes.

Big fat bloggers commented thus:
  • That was a completely pointless exchange.
  • Oh my god, that was HORRID! I don't know when I've ever read anything so patronizing and demeaning in my life. We can't possibly be happy? We can't have decent relationships? What the hell? And then they sound so bemused about how happy fat people look while eating.
  • Clearly there's a lot of nonsense in that article.
  • Worst article I've ever read on the subject of fat. Someone eloquent should write to them. I would be too angry.
'Nuff said. I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only person who thinks that the Jamaican media is dominated by charlatans who just like to read their own shyte.

That said, Mark and Chupski didn't say that a lot of Jamaican women are on the plump side. This is because the men force them to eat so they can develop large breasts and buttocks, which they glare at in public.

I think they are mistaking overweight with taking care of yourself. Personally, I would rather look at an overweight woman who is well put together, positive and self-confident, than a slim one who lacks muscle tone or a sense of vitality.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home