Sunday, July 31, 2005

Is there any such thing as the free press?

This complaint is about the Jamaica Star Forum. They have a habit of ditching posted replies to comments that don't fit into the "official line". Check the Fashion, Beauty and Lifestyle section of the web forum. In all fairness, the topics are current, and interesting, but the persons who moderate the board seem to be friends of some of the people who are discussed there.

If a post is too "hot" or controversial, someone deletes it without warning, or notice. I have seen complaints from the members of the forum in recent months, and from one of the brown-nosing administrators. What I find is that the web administrators collaborate in their criticism or praise of a particular individual who is recognised in the fashion and beauty industry.

For example, I posted a thread about a former Miss Jamaica World who is the bastard child of a Guyanese and Jamaican (the mother was married to someone else at the time). In Jamaica that is called "a jacket". It is common knowledge that she had a nervous breakdown after hearing the news. If she were disliked by the media, they would have pointed that out. What is wrong with saying that? I didn't even say her name, but EVERYONE knew who I was talking about. I won't write her name here, but if you have lived in Jamaica during the past 11 years, you will know what I'm talking about.

I will be posting my intended replies to topics on that forum on this blog.

The same goes for The Jamaica Observer. So selective in what they report. I used to work there so I know that it is a good newspaper, with good journalists, but sometimes they don't dig deeply enough.

Say NO to censorship!! Write blogs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home