Sunday, October 02, 2005

McDonald's leaving Jamaica

I'm loving it!

The good news is that the McDonald's fast food chain is leaving Jamaica. There were too many fast food restaurants there anyway.

Why, Jamaican cuisine is the among the most flavourful in the world, so why would anyone want to trade that for bland frozen crap? I know that Jamaican taste buds are rather discriminating, and we only eat what we can taste.

Homecooked meals are better. Norma Henry runs "Norma's" on Whitehall Avenue in Kingston. Ask any taxi driver in Kingston to take you to Norma's and they'll never ask twice. I also knew business executives who would call her up and swing by late in the evening to buy delicious meals. I gained about 10kg because I was addicted to her delicious oxtail. There is something about those thin white boxes that give the food such good flavour. That, and knowing the meal was prepared for someone who cooked it from scratch, makes it that much more enjoyable.

I miss the food stalls on the street in downtown Kingston, where you can buy ackee and saltfish for breakfast or fricaseed chicken and escoveitched fish for lunch. I can smell it now. Gravy! Who would have guessed I would miss something as common as gravy.

Only my mother's meals taste better.

There are too many good cooks in Jamaica to leave it all up to foreign "express food". We should be exporting our Boston Jerk Chicken and Tastee's and Juicy Beef patties to the world.

Even in this obscure part of the world, I walk into restaurants and see Jamaican herbs and spices in their original bottles, proudly on display on the tables as part of the restuarant's decor. Clients don't even realise that they are sitting in front of a truly Jamaican product.

I think that the exit of North American fast food restaurants will leave Jamaica open to an indigenous slow food market. In that market, we would support each other and develop a domestic profit.

Here's hoping that we develop and market our "brand" more effectively in the years to come.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home