Monday, November 14, 2005

"Why yuh callin' out mi name? Mi know yuh?"

Tobi is a moderator and a "god" of the Jamaica Star Web Board. She is supposed to be an expert on the fashion and beauty scene. Given her vulgarity, I feel somewhat dirty even writing about her my blog. However, given this woman's oligarchic tendencies, and the danger that this post would be deleted if I had placed it on the Jamaica Star Forum, I decided to put the post here on this blog where she can't touch it.

The Web Forum
I'm going to ignore the poor design of the web board. I'm going to ignore that people post their photos on the board without modifying their size first. I'm also going to ignore the avatar of a woman sitting on her bed, and the tasteless gifs of women with round bottoms doing variously suggestive things.

Notwithstanding, the forum is a good source of information, and I am not one to scorn any source of information. Frankly, I am not even going to ask how come Tobi became a web board administrator, because I've read what the Jamaica Star prints.

Tobi
Tobi channels the secretary who used to sew her own curtains in a certain laboratory at the UWI Mona Campus. This secretary would get on her high horse because she held the keys to the laboratory's rooms and because she had a computer on her desk. At that time, students weren't bringing laptops to campus and Miss Hanna had not yet bestowed upon us a fully equipped computer lab, so the secretary felt that she had some power over students. Somewhat like monkey with a new machine.

When I see Tobi's writing I get the strong image of the alcoholic mother of my first boyfriend. This woman was a fabulous cook, but she would walk around the house in a see-through nightie. Her 40-something-year old breasts would droop to the floor. If her son crossed her, she would pull up the hem of the gown tell him about his dutty bomboraasclaat (did I spell that right?).

Tobi, the Jamaica Star Moderator, combines the essence of these two women. She would be so virtuous and correct at one moment, scolding posters for revealing other people's secrets and reminding them that only she knows who is ugly and what is not. If you look closely, she's an over-exposed matron with the keys for the rooms to an outdated building. What amuses me is that people are actually afraid of her because she can delete their posts.

Part 1
Raquel Wright, Miss Jamaica Universe 2005, has been one of her victims. This beautiful wholesome-looking girl saw everyone jumping on a bandwagon to say they didn't like her looks, just so they could ingratiate themselves with Tobi.
Oct 30th, 2005, 5:00pm, Structure wrote:It is beginning to seam that the only beauty queen you did not have a problem with was raquel wright. I wonder why?


Started by TOBI | Post by Mr Puppet
on Sep 12th, 2005, 3:31pm, TOBI wrote:

you obviously have issues....& I hope you get help....Terri Karelle is a popular choice, a fab girl, with all the right attributes to be seen & heard...watch her glow at Miss World, & then we can continue this discussion....Tonoya leaves a sour taste in my mouth......there is no comparison with Terri...she will go places..with or without u...

I AGREE TOBI..SOME PEOPLE ON HERE JUST ALWAYS GO AGAINST ANYTHING POSITIVE
As if the Miss Jamaica Universe pageant were a big deal in the first place! Almost no-one contradicted Tobi, who announced that Raquel was ugly, and Tobi has the last word on who is ugly and who is not.
Post by TOBI Nov 2nd, 2005, 8:02am
My only comments on this, it is first and foremost a beauty pageant...whereas you can enhance a persons public speaking skills & make them more comfortably socially, ie more outgoing...you simply cannto makeover a girl as unattractive as Raquel Wright or Tonoya & expect them to be seen in an INtL beauty pageant, its simply a waste of time.
People who post comments on that web board would beg her not to cuss them out because they knew when a certain opinion would not meet her sanction.
October 16, 2005 Post by Structure:
OK, please do not cuss me off, but is Terri facially attractive enough to pull it off?
Soon after telling everyone to shut up, Tobi would reveal another person's secrets, without reprimand. In fact, the ensuing conversation seems like gang warfare.
Tobi
Star Moderator
Star God

Re: Beyonce's hair
Reply #8 on: Aug 11, 2005, 8:03pm

LOL..poor beyonce...someone who move in gossip circles, told me shes actually Haitian, but refuse to admit it....
Romalon
Star God
tobi, lol, lol. someone who move in gossip circles ? ?.. you should call names sometines so we can be aware of gossip mongers ..ha, ha, ....
I don't know Tobi personally, but I would accept her opinions if she were consistent or even political. That is, if she had chosen a position, left or right and stayed there. At least you know what she stands for. However, her only position seems to be whatever comes to her fingertips as she types. Her behaviour reminds me of what a wise person said to scold me: being a biyotch just because you can be might be fun for you, but is reprehensible to others.

Someone else had this to say about Tobi's behaviour, and I swear it wasn't Shaggy's girl:
Now I am sure Terri will win simply because she is the best of a bad lot, but reading all this crap that both Tobi and Romolon have written has definately made me lose all respect for the past statements and criticisms they have made of the other recent pageants. For one you guys keep emphasizing that its her personality that really sets her apart. Yet when raquel wright won Miss Universe you were quick to say that personality has nothing to do with it. Tobi, you actually complimented the dreadful dancehall queen pink costume she is wearing, which really made me realize that obviously you have no taste.

Part 2
Tobi once complained about how her posts would be deleted by somebody else (as a forum administrator, she should realise that it's inappropriate to discuss these internal issues with the public).
On Mar 2nd, 2005, 10:04am, TOBI wrote:

I cant believe Star...Im getting weary...you make the effort to post a topic with photos, start an interesting discussion...& then its zapped...deleted...cant be bothered ..Ive also gotton complaints from other posters who tell me they crash while posting a reply..or loose their user ID....STAR need to get their act together before they go public with this forum, and take it Global...
Later, she boasted that she had the power to delete posts. Tobi, the Star god, doesn't strike me as the sort of person who can be trusted with other people's words. I'm trying to understand how she feels about having the power over other people's opinions. It must make her feel so good about herself. I know that I'm not taking this out of context because her words are right here.
Leisure fashion and arts / Fashion, Beauty & Lifestyle / Re: NEW BOOK: TRICKS OF JAMAICAN MEN Sep 14th, 2005, 8:30pm
Started by seduce-now Post by TOBI on Sep 14th, 2005, 5:30pm

Might I remind u, this forum is not a market place, you simply cant just come here to buy or sell..:)...if your issue has to do with literary content & feedback on what you read, thats a different matter, but when you want to promote or sell, I find its always better to call the Gleaner Advt Desk :)...I wouldve deleted your posting, but having checked the site it appeared you might not have had any direct commercial interest....pls correct me if Im wrong...
Another poster wrote, ironically, that:
It has come to me that some one don't want them name pon Forum...hence friendship, Nepotism maybe one of the factors at play here. It is amazing how the fashion page lost a few postings. I SMELL SABOTAGE, FRIENDSHIP, NEPOTISM OR JUST PLAIN AS DAY FKRY
Is that right? Actually, I smell chicken dung.

Tobi is a shining example of the culture of self-censorship/shame tree that forces Jamaican people to be quiet about the little injustices that happen around them. A person who doesn't like another person's opinions puts on his/her pontiff's mask and then wails as loudly as possible about how evil and malicious another person is. "You attacked the person whose ass I'm kissing, stop!" These people feel ashamed for the moment because they think they did something wrong, but in the next instant the same pontiff goes back into a feeding frenzy with his/her shark's mask.

Appalling.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You make a lot of sense. My girlfriend is Jamaican, I am american (white) so I have learned a lot about the culture and society. Keep it up.

Wednesday, October 25, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home