Monday, October 24, 2005

Preserving what raasclaat race?

Rosa Parks died today, and it's ironic that I found this on the Jamaica Observer website:
MSN is a pretty dangerous forum these days...If you haven't received the email from a concerned citizen 'hoping to preserve the race' it's cos you're visibly black, yellow or brown. That's right not even the brown folks are wanted by those concerned that the race is being diluted. It's called SAME WAY SO. We'll keep you posted on this one. After all, it is from an elite upper St Andrew group.
At first, I had an emotional reaction to this story. How could I not take it personally? They didn't say "blacks only" or "mulattoes only". I thought they wanted to annihilate my own kind.

Such a mandate is not even legal. It hasn't been that long since generations of young people have been wiped out in Africa, Bosnia-Herzegovina and Croatia for the sake of ethnic purification. Not to mention the millions of blacks and Jews who died during WWII. There were also many South African blacks who died during apartheid.

"I am leaving this legacy to all of you ... to bring peace, justice, equality, love and a fulfillment of what our lives should be. Without vision, the people will perish, and without courage and inspiration, dreams will die — the dream of freedom and peace."
Rosa Parks
February 4, 1914 - October 24, 2005


Surely I thought it must be someone's idea of a sick joke, but then my memory got a big jolt. I had another fit of laughter at the idea because it really isn't as romantic and radical as it seems.

The Mail Order Groom
The daughter of an instantly recognisable Jamaican family of Lebanese origin was apparently bent on doing her own racial purification bit, so she hunted for and imported a husband from Denmark. He was a short, brown-haired, impish looking Caucasian. Kind of strange that of all the eligible bachelors on planet earth, a woman of her influence chose an unemployed white man in his 40s to marry. It couldn't have been love because, while I'm not sure what he did for work, I do know what he did during his spare time.

Three months after arriving in Jamaica, he became obsessed with a Jamaican masseuse, a friend of mine. She was a short, dark-skinned, flawless woman with a fabulous body. This was her job, so he had to pay for her time. Thing is, he fell in like with her and decided to spend as much time as possible with her. Not that she felt the same way--I mean, this was a woman who had spent time with some of the most influential businessmen in Jamaica. He was just another unemployed lout to her and did nothing for her already impressive resume of clients.

He decided he could woo her by inviting her over to the house one afternoon to a cocktail party hosted by his wife for a bunch of upper St. Andrew aristocrats. Why? To show that even though he was a kept man, he had balls. My friend balked at the idea because after all, she would come face to face with the wife, no? He said, "I invited you, and you are my guest. Just ignore her".

The masseuse went to the party out of curiosity, and ended up having a big laugh about it. I don't know if the Dane and the Lebanese princess are still married, but the masseuse soon dumped him for being too "needy and boring". That, and because he didn't have his own money.
I thought about what's happening here and I realised that it's pretty much a parallel to the trend of former beauty pageant contestants who marry rich so they can offer their "beauty genes" to some rich, ugly sop.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home