Wednesday, August 10, 2005

The alpha female and verbal abuse at work

Clare Longrigg,in an article about the alpha female, wrote that "she despises alpha males and they are terrified of her" because she "achievement is the focus of the alpha female's life".

Recently, a study conducted at "the universities of Aberdeen, Bristol, Edinburgh and Glasgow, women with high IQs are less likely to get married than those with lower ones; for each 16-point rise in a woman's IQ, her marriage prospects decrease by 40 per cent, because men fear they won't be in control."

Larissa Dubecki continued to write an interesting article playfully downplaying the theory in the context of my favourite spectator sport, F1.

It's true that a lot of men fear to be in control of the knowledge (of anything). They also fear not having the blind adoration of their women. They may especially fear women who won't sell their adoration at any cost.

But, you see, this is the beginning of an abusive relationship. It might look like a joke from the outside, but I would like to talk about the abusive behaviour that alpha females face in the workplace.

My experience with workplace abuse was firmly rooted in a general lack of shared (organisational) values, and under-qualified colleagues. It is widely accepted that women on the receiving end of this kind of behaviour are frequently recognized as leaders, bright, experienced, competent, and highly qualified. Another source says that "verbal abuse occurs because the abuser is in a reality where he feels he must overpower his victim to feel good about himself. Often he was abused as a child."

In truth, I'm a non-white, expatriate female from a developing country. So, maybe this asshole thought that I was desperate to hang on to my job. He would refuse to cooperate with me on important projects, or accept them but totally trash them later and blame me.

I ignored him for three months, and one day after my photo was published in the national press (recognising my work) he verbally attacked me.

I didn't act like a victim after that; instead I kept getting recognised for my work and accepted as a member of my new community. It's funny a white male comes to me, a black Jamaican woman and says "the problem is that you're too opinionated" and "trying to change things".

I'm trying to elevate the status and image of black women in my community. There are few of us here, and I want other black women to come here and not be treated with fear or hositility. What's the use being a well-respected Former Jamaican if you don't do that?

Instead of crying and complaining about it to other people, (that would only make him more popular), I decided to write about that here on my blog.

Workplace bullying is a form of violence against women. Say no to workplace bullying. Write blogs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home