Sunday, August 07, 2005

The Jamaica Observer has a matchmaking service

Is the Jamaica Observer serious? I am not sure what to make of this "Write me" letter to the editor.

Write me

Saturday, August 06, 2005

Dear Editor,

I wish to make friends through your widely read newspaper.
I am a Ghanaian civil servant and a student who would like to know more about other people's culture, studies and life, etc. My hobbies are reading, travel, culture, music, singing and watching movies.

Elvis Owusu Darko
PO Box 144 Breman Asikuma C/R Ghana, West Africa
ofack2002@yahoo.com


A month ago, I wrote an eloquent letter telling the Observer that they had failed to investigate the role of the Church of Scientology in the education of young Jamaicans. The Ministry of Education was hosting Bennetta Slaughter who was questioned in 1996 in a criminal investigation/civil suit over the circumstances surrounding the death of Lisa McPherson, a member of the Church. Jamaica is a Christian country, and as far as I remember society is intolerant of any new age or new-fangled mumbo-jumbo.


Bennetta Slaughter is trying to convert everyone in Jamaica to Scientology

Of course, Jamaicans love anything that's imported, and gobble it up especially if it's free.

What happened to my letter? It apparently died a natural death.

No wonder this country is going to shyte. I feel stung that my letter, which was carefully researched and well-written, didn't make it on the "letters to the editor" page, but now I find some non-Jamaican opportunist trying to find his future wife through the newspaper.

Talk about bad taste.

I guess the rationale by the sub-editor of this section was that "if correspondence comes from outside of Jamaica, then it must mean our newspaper has an international reach". Interesting. I am more inclined to think that any opportunist with access to the internet can type "jamaica" and "newspaper" into Google's search engine, and come up with "Jamaica Observer".

Here's a related personal story. About 12 years ago, I was at church in Jamaica and I was sitting in a group discussion led by a very handsome Nigerian male who was studying at the Northern Caribbean University. Nice guy, eloquent. I never said a word to him. I didn't even know his name.

A week later, he sees me on my way to church and says: "Oh, I've missed you so much." Uh huh. Okay, so African men express themselves differently. I know that. But it was just weird because I had no idea who this person was, and he didn't know me.

A few weeks after that I was chatting with my friends and we heard that there were an increasing number of males of Nigerian origin who were on a campaign to marry off Jamaican women so they could obtain passports and stay in the country.

Like, who would want to immigrate to JM? Ghana

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home